How do you stop a dog from barking? When your eardrums are being pummeled by a constant stream of yelping, yapping and yowling, this becomes an all-important question. Perhaps you’ve tried a variety of methods in attempting to manage animal noise, or maybe you’d like to opt for a different approach? You may want to tune into professional soundproofing solutions. This is an option that is equally appropriate in dealing with Buddy in the backyard as it is in larger-scale commercial settings.
You can have a read of some preliminary material or skip straight to the advice you’re looking for below.
- Who can we help with soundproofing for animal noise control?
- Why is soundproofing important for animal noise pollution?
- What material can block noise that is produced by animals?
Who can we help with noise pollution control technologies?
We’re certainly no Dr Chris Brown (or any other animal expert/personality), so we can’t promise to turn that cranky canine into a placid pup through behavioural therapy or otherwise. Some people may swear by products like white noise machines and even noise cancellation for dogs. While we can’t help you with those items, we can recommend a range of soundproofing technologies.
Part of our goal is being to help you avoid having to make a noise complaint, or heavens forbid, having to deal with receiving one! This applies whether you have pets (and/or the neighbours do), and is especially applicable if you’re involved in an enterprise or organisation that houses and looks after animals.
Soundproofing solutions are relevant for animal noise issues occurring in:
- Veterinarian offices/veterinary hospitals
- Animal shelters/animal adoption centres/animal rescues
- Pet boarding facilities/pet daycare
- Farms and livestock housing facilities
- Pet stores and pet supply retailers
Why is soundproofing important for animal noise pollution?
In tackling animal-related noise pollution, there are a variety of reasons for opting for soundproofing — either as a complementary or stand-alone solution. A lot of the benefits have to do with soundproofing being a more holistic approach, especially when contrasted with some of the traditional methods of managing noisy, disruptive and anxious animals.
Advantages in soundproofing to reduce animal noise problems:
- It’s a safe and non-invasive method – Opposed to administering directly to the animal itself, soundproofing allows you to deal with the issue from an environmental perspective. One advantage for your pet or for an animal is that a need for tranquilisers, sedatives and analgesics can be lessened or completely avoided. These drugs can produce adverse side effects and aren’t always suitable for prolonged use.
- Soundproofing can help manage noise sensitivities – Does noise pollution affect animals? Yes, it does and it might just be the culprit for their noisy behaviour in the first place. Animals are highly sensitive and can easily be irritated or alarmed by a wide variety of sounds, such as thunderstorms, vacuum cleaners and other animals. This extends to those noises that are virtually imperceptible to the human ear. In an area with a lot of other animals this factor is almost always multiplied. One noisy animal can easily create a domino effect on an entire group. Soundproofing can help to reduce the original source of noise pollution. Plus, it may be a useful method in managing noise phobia in pets.
- It can help minimise reverberation – If you’re experiencing a significant issue with animal noise, you might be feeling quite desperate as it is. However, if reverberation is also a factor, ie. the long-lasting noise that sound makes when it is able to bounce from one surface to the next, then you might feel like you’re facing an acoustical problem of apocalyptic proportions! This is highly relevant when it comes to a veterinarian office/hospital. In an effort to keep bacteria and foul odours at bay, there is usually a limit on the use of soft surfaces, (aka sound-absorbers). With plenty of reflective metallic objects characteristic of your typical clinical setting, reverberation can certainly get a lot of free rein. Soundproofing products are designed to combat reverberation.
What material can block sound that is produced by animals?
So, you’d like to install some soundproofing products as a way to deal with excess or troublesome animal noise? At Soundproof Warehouse, we can help with issues small and large and for a variety of applications. You might be looking for a solution for an animal enclosure or for use in an animal-centric facility like a vet or an animal adoption centre. Whatever it is, we get that you’ll want to know about the most appropriate products in soundproofing windows, doors, fences, and more.
The following is a list of soundproofing materials that are suitable for animal-related noise pollution.
- Soundproof Door Seals — A medium-duty, automatic door bottom seal which can be face-fixed or semi-rebated to the bottom edge of single-action doors. It operates automatically by a spring-loaded mechanism (lifting the seal clear of the floor as soon as the door is opened). This option is especially helpful in controlling the transmission of animal noise from room to room. Door seals are easy to install, low cost and overall very low fuss.
- Acoustic Windows — A type of soundproof window from Soundproof Warehouse which uses what we call ‘secondary glazing’. Our special process creates a solution that beats double glazed windows hands down for effectiveness and affordability. Acoustic windows can allow you to achieve up to 70% noise reduction (versus up to 42% for double glazed windows)! Unlike with double glazing, you don’t have to replace existing windows. With acoustic grade seals, you can lessen noise pollution from a variety of sources, including pets and animals.
- Soundproof Fence Wrap — Our acoustic fence wrap has been created for installation over your existing fence (the taller the better) for up to 70% noise reduction. There is no better way to say “Get off my lawn!” to noise, and this can include that yapping from the neighbour’s dog! A little bit of effort in a simple installation process can save you noise-related headaches for years to come. Read more about installation.
Find out more/request a quote for soundproofing materials
The best and easiest way to find out which soundproofing products will suit you? Talk to the helpful team here at Soundproof Warehouse. We can point you in the right direction according to your unique circumstances. You can also check out our learning hub for handy DIY install tips. Contact us for some friendly advice or to get a quote for your soundproofing materials today.